I have finished embellishing my Basically Bare Steampunk Album and I can’t wait to show it to you! I know steampunk isn’t everybody’s cup of tea … but I hope you get some ideas about how to use some of the embellishments that are available from Basically Bare!
If you remember from my last post, I used the Delightful Doors from the Mixed Media Spiral Bound Albums.
Here are the pages and some of the techniques I used to embellish the album.
The cover of the album got a good ‘roughing up’ with an emery board, distress stain, and some light misting of a golden tan color. To the right side I added some flowers and a winged key with some crystal foliage for some bling.
On the left side I used two sizes (small and medium) of the Gears embellishments from the Mixed Media Embellishments category in the catalog. I inked the medium gear with a brown distress ink and heat embossed it with antique gold powder – these cardboard pieces are pretty tough and can take quite a bit of heat so I was able to get a good melt. Over the antique gold powder, I applied a thin coat of copper embossing powder so that both colors were blended and became a unified color. I used the same technique on the two smaller gears, using different colors of powders. Then I layered on a “real” metal gear to the top of the upper small gear and added a few faux gem ‘bolts’ to finish it off. The chipboard embellishment in the upper left corner was a piece I had in my stash and I thought it worked great with the Basically Bare gears.
When the gate fold cover opens, there is a large illustration with text and two side panels. I used the same techniques on some of the Basically Bare gears as on the cover and added a few steampunk treasures from my stash.
For the next pages, I used a variety of materials. On the left side, I used the blank from the inside of a Fanciful Frames II in the Embellishment category in the catalog and used red flocking powder to create a textured mat for the image of the Statue of Liberty talking on the phone.
I used two of the stars from the Celestial Shapes embellishments and inked them with red distress ink and gave them a light dusting of red glitter. I layered two wooden gear shapes on top of them and put them on the tag envelope. I also added a vintage button the flap of the envelope.
On the left side I used more of the medium sized Gears embellishments, and after used my original technique of embossing powders – then I added an extra two coats of UTEE (Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel. It gave the gears a truly grungy industrial factory look – when seeing them in real life it’s almost impossible to tell that they’re simple die cut cardboard! The nice wide cogs on these gears really allow a lot of medium to be added without clogging up the space between.
Here is the same tag envelopes with their tags. They were only embellished with paper images and mica sheets. You can find these wonderful shaped tags in the catalog in the New Products for 2015 section (Scalloped Tag Set).
The next page is embellished with things from my steampunk stash and a small tag that I used from Happy Little Houses embellishments – I used the smallest house die cut and snipped off the peak of the roof to make the tag shape – then distressed and inked it and stamped the word ‘dream’ on it. The tie is simple jute cord.
I found it impossible to photograph the transparent acrylic page in the album, so I put a sheet of white cardstock behind it to acquire the photo. The acrylic has been layered with several thicknesses of mica, stamped with a fun image. I’m sure you’ll have fun playing with this acrylic page – there are so many opportunities to try new things! Next time I know I want to try alcohol inks and make a translucent background on an acrylic page! Options are endless.
On the left side of the next spread, I used a frame from the Fanciful Frames II collection and gave it a good thick coating of gold and UTEE embossing powders after inking it with black distress ink. All the other embellishments I were either from my stash or I made (the rosette).
On the last page, I used gold embossing paste on a script text stencil and added some ‘real’ metal gears and chain. Then I took a large Gear from the Gears collection and cut it into quarters, using them as corner decorations, after inking them with orange ink and lightly dusting them with red distress glitter.
So, there we have it. It took me several days to complete this project – each page had a lot of drying time required before the next step. But I think the result was well worth the time – and using the Basically Bare products made it not not only beautiful, but made the various elements so easy to pull together!
Thanks for stopping by … hope you enjoyed the little tour of my finished Basically Bare Steampunk Album!
For the Design Team, this is Tristan signing off … and see you again soon!